Essential Guide On How To Setup A Hikvision DVR (Basic Configuration): Know The Most Effective Steps
DVR is basically a device which converts the analogue signals from a CCTV camera to the digital format and it also stores the information into the hard drive. Moreover, the DVR also sends a live video stream to other devices on the network. Most of the security cameras are connected to the DVR input for proper surveillance. With so many DVR options like
Hikvision CCTV Installation Service available on the market, it is quite confusing for the users to decide which one is better for their use.
One of the popular brands is Hikvision DVR, which is currently being used by a majority of the users all around the world. If you have recently purchased Hikvision DVR but don’t know how to set up this device and unaware of its configuration process, then this blog is for you. Here we will discuss all the useful and effective procedures for the proper setup of a Hikvision DVR.
Setting up a Hikvision DVR for quick monitoring and basic recording is not such a daunting task. It usually takes an approximate of about 10 minutes, following that your cameras are already being installed and connected to the DVR. Let’s discuss here a complete procedure of the setup and configuration of Hikvision DVR so that you can use your surveillance system seamlessly. But if you don’t want to setup Hikvision DVR on your own, then you can opt for professional services from Hikvision Dubai.
Installation of DVR Hard Drive:
It is essential to install a Hard disk drive or HDD before you proceed to set up the DVR to start recording your cameras. For that, you need to physically install the HDD by opening the recorder and properly connect its power and data cables in their respective sockets. It is quite an easy procedure and it does not require any such technical knowledge and skills. While installing hard disk drive, it is recommended to use a surveillance hard drive which is designed in a way that it can easily work with recorders.
The Hikvision DVR connections
Now, you should check whether all your analogue cameras are properly installed and connected to the DVR. You must also ensure that you are using quality coaxial cables and connectors. Also, check that the DVR is well connected to the monitor via the VGA or HDMI output. These are the minimum requirements that one should possess for setting up your Hikvision DVR up and for running it locally. It is recommended to use an HDMI cable as VGA monitor is no longer being used.
Setup Hikvision DVR
After connecting the cables and installing the Hard disc drive, now it’s time to set up your Hikvision DVR. The entire configuration is done through the usage of a mouse which can control a menu in the monitor screen. Thus, ensure that you should have a USB mouse connected with it.
Check And Verify the DVR Hard Drive
First of all, you need to check and verify whether the HDD is installed correctly. Once you find that the HDD is properly installed, you can proceed on with the listed below steps:
- On the screen, click with the right button of the mouse and select “Menu”
- Now, open the Hard Disc Drive configuration by clicking on the HDD button
- As soon as you do this, you will notice that the HDD appears on the menu. Now, you need to format it to ensure that it is ready for footage recording.
- After that, choose the checkbox and click on “Init”
- The moment you click on this option, you will find that a message gets displayed on the screen which will inform you that all the data will get erased from the Hard disk drive
- Next, you need to click on the “OK” option for proceeding further.
- Now, the DVR formats the HDD and everything is ready for recording.
Set The Date and Time On Hikvision DVR:
Now, your Hikvision DVR is ready for recording. But while recording footage, no one wants to have the wrong date and time in it, so one must configure the date and time in it correctly to get the right one. This is quite a simple process. For configuring the time and date, you just need to open the configuration menu. From there, select the correct date format and adjust the right date and time.
Doing this will enable your Hikvision DVR to record all the camera footage with the correct date and time. So, when something happens, you can search for the footage of the specified date.
Configure The Cameras
It is quite significant to configure the cameras as this will ensure you that you are connected to the correct channel and also have the best quality.
The Hikvision DVR allows you to set up each camera individually for:
- The information which is displayed on the screen
- The technology which it is using such as HD-TV, HT-CVI, AHD, CVBS or IP
- Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, Hue, and Denoising
- Motion Detection and PTZ Control.
Apart from those mentioned above, there are several other options available but here, in this blog, we are discussing only the essential things that are required for setting up your Hikvision DVR and making it ready for recording footage.
Procedure To Be Followed While Configuring Your Camera:
- First of all, open the camera menu.
- From there, you need to select the type of technology that your camera is using. The available options will be TVI, AHD, CVBS or IP cameras as per your DVR model. Like for Samsung cameras, the default technology is AHD, for Hikvision cameras the default technology is HD-TVI and for other low-resolution cameras, the default technology is CVBS.
- You need to ensure which technology is being used by your camera and then check the boxes.
- Next, you need to configure the on-screen display which includes some information such as date/time and camera name on the screen.
- Then, for setup, you need to just select the cameras and verify the information which you want to display on the screen. Along with that, you should also change the camera name.
- After that, go to the “Image” menu to adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness, and denoising of the camera so that you can obtain a better image quality.
- On the other hand, if you are using Pan Tilt Zoom cameras, you just need to open the menu for setting the parameters that you need.
- Finally, you can set up the camera motion detection from the “Motion” menu.
The Hikvision DVRs have the capability to analyze the image which is coming from the camera. This can check as well as detect if there are any movements in the scenario. Here you can also make adjustments in the areas where you want the motion to be detected and also adjust other parameters such as sensitivity. These are the basic and fundamental things that you need for proper setup of the Hikvision DVR so that you can proceed with the recording process.
Recording Setup of Hikvision DVR
The recording setup of Hikvision DVR is very simple. For that, you just need to go through the steps described below:
- First of all, choose the camera and select how you want to have them recorded.
- Then, open the recording setup screen by clicking on the record button
- After that, you need to choose the continuous or motion recording among other options.
- Then, choose motions to have the video from the camera recorded only. This can also save you space in the hard drive.
You must remember to set up the camera motion, otherwise, the camera won’t be recorded. If the camera is recording, you will get to know it as then an icon will be displayed on the screen. But if it is not, you can take help from experts for CCTV repair and CCTV maintenance.
Hikvision DVR Playback
If you have correctly setup your Hikvision DVR, then you will be able to playback the recorded videos. For that, you just need to right-click the screen and choose “Playback” option. From the playback menu, you can choose the camera, date and time which you want to playback. In addition to this, you can also see the colours which are indicating the continuous or event recording.
That’s all that you need for a Hikvision DVR setup. Hope that the information that is being provided is enough to configure a system and for running it properly. But if you want to learn more about advanced and remote configuration to access the DVR via the Internet or having some problem in understanding any of the process described above, then you can contact Hikvision CCTV Installation Service to avail expert’s help and get rid of the confusion.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How one can connect Hikvision DVR without internet?
For connecting Hikvision DVR without internet, you need to connect DVR to the monitor directly. You can do so by connecting your CCTV DVR to the monitor via VGA or HDMI cable. Then, configure the settings of the CCTV DVR. After that, you need to configure the Wifi router for DVR. Then, open your PC and connect the DVR to Wifi LAN cable. Thereafter, check its settings and connect it to any Android phone.
2. Can one use CCTV camera without DVR?
DVR is generally used for analogue CCTV cameras. The IP cameras can still work independently as standalone surveillance devices, without DVRs or NVRs, just like the security cameras with SD card. Even you can also connect an IP camera to your phone, laptop, computer, TV without an NVR or DVR for streaming live feed.
3. What is DVR for CCTV?
A DVR or CCTV digital video recorder is importantly a computer which saves security video images to a hard drive. Most of the security cameras used nowadays capture an analogue picture. Moreover, the DVR also converts the analogue signal to the digital and then compresses it.
4. Can IP cameras record to DVR?
Generally, the DVRs are not compatible with IP cameras. But due to the fact that the IP cameras have their own IP address as well as its web server, it is quite easier to bypass the DVR completely. One can also use a smartphone, tablet or computer to monitor and record the video from the camera.